Mastering Search-Engine Optimization (SEO) for Greater Online Success
According to results of a recent study by Georgia Institute of Technology, 87% of online surfers use search engines as their primary means of finding new websites. They also found out that most people assume that websites listed first are better than those that come after. Thirdly, they concluded that visitors who enter websites via search engines are 10 times more likely to become customers that those who arrive by other means.
What do these facts mean to you? Obviously, the higher your website appears in search engine results, the better it is for your internet business! Here's where Search Engine Optimization (SEO) comes in. Simply put, SEO is a way of improving the quantity and quality of traffic sent to websites from search engines. Internet businesses should seek to optimize their websites so as to appear as high on search engine listings as possible.
Here are a few ways you can master SEO so as to generate greater traffic and by extension, greater sales to your website.
Effective Key-wording: The Core of SEO
Key-wording plays a huge role in your ability to attract new visitors to your website. This is due to the way search engine crawlers are programmed to work. These crawlers look for the relevant keywords when people carry out searches on the internet, linking the searches to websites in the search engine's database. Thus, proper key-wording really is the cornerstone of your traffic generation strategy. Ensure that you use relevant keywords so as to draw targeted traffic that's ready, willing and able to become your customers.
Your keywords should be placed in two main places on your website. Firstly, they should be placed in areas visible to your visitors such as within your articles or in headings. Secondly, include them within the HTML coding of your website such as in Meta description tags. HTML is basically the language search engines run on. As such, it is important to include your keywords in the language which search engines operate on so the crawlers can locate your website easily during searches by web-users. Optimizing your website may seem complicated and difficult at this point. However, it isn't as perplexing as it appears to be. Follow the tips below in order to optimize your website's visibility to search engines painlessly.
- Place your main keywords in your website's copy, headings, alongside graphics, domain name and internal and external hyperlinks.
- Be prudent with the use of keywords. Use only one or two different keywords on any given page. Aim for a keyword density of around 2 to 5% (This simply means using your keywords 2 to 5 times for every 100 words). Your keyword density can be checked at KeywordDensity.com for free.
Make your keywords the very last words on a page. This is an effortless way to get noticed quickly by search engine crawlers.
For example, a second-hand car dealer should end the very last sentence of his sales page with 'Look no further as you've come to the best place for the most affordable and well-maintained cars!'
- Find out which keywords are most popular for any particular industry at Wordtracker.com and KeywordDiscovery.com
Excellent Design and Navigation Elements: An SEO Booster
There are several specific design and navigation dynamics of a website that search engines weigh before listing it on their search results list. Thus, it makes good business sense to pay attention to them. Here are more tips to ace SEO in terms of a website's feel and navigational abilities.
- Ensure that hyperlinks in your websites all lead to working pages which are virus-free and established.
- Provide links within every subpage to all main pages of your website. An example is having a 'Home' icon in all pages of a website that links viewers to a website's main page.
- Give your links descriptive names. For example, use 'Contact us' instead of 'Need help?' Be definitive so that search engine crawlers can match your page to web searches easily.
In conclusion, SEO may seem like a complex process to the uninitiated. However, it can be relatively hassle-free if you follow these tips. Remember to be patient as search engines typically take a while to find new websites and it can even take months for a website to move up to a respectable place in the results list. However, the wait is well worthwhile as the increased traffic from website optimization will eventually bring your website greater recognition in any industry.